Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Women Returning to Work and the Third Billion

While in an airport this weekend on my way home from a conference, I picked up a copy of Booz & Co.'s Summer 2010 Strategy + Business issue.  By the time I was midway through the article that began on page 8, "The Third Billion," I knew I had to share it with you.  The third billion refers to the number of women who will enter the global workplace over the next 10 years with significant, if not earth-changing, impact, and the authors calculate that 47 million of them live in North America, western Europe and Japan.

Having spent the weekend thinking about how women returning to the workforce can be such a positive force for helping to turn things around, I was struck by authors DeAnne Aguirre's and Karim Sabbaugh's analysis. They conclude the article by writing, "The creativity of the Third Billion may provide the world with an unprecedented resource for driving economic growth and improving the quality of life over the next decade....For leaders, the next step is to recognize the value of this population of women and the contribution they can make."

Pretty great, don't you think?

I recommend reading the The Third Billion in its entirety.

All the best,
Carol

1 comment:

Denise W. said...

I am so excited about the idea of the 3rd billion. This means that women who have left the workforce willingly or not... and young women who are looking to make their mark (like our daughters, nieces, and others) will be counted among this significant group. I'm so very excited!! Thanks for bringing to our attention. Now, all we need to do is help prepare the third billion to make a difference.

This news is a big wow!!